• Question: if i wanted to be a scientist what qulifications would i need

    Asked by littlemissknowitall to Douglas, Matt, Tom on 24 Jun 2010 in Categories: .
    • Photo: Matthew Hurley

      Matthew Hurley answered on 24 Jun 2010:

      This is a very pleasing question! You probably need a good science GCSE, good maths and english. See your careers advisor at school. You would then need to do A levels – the science of your choice and some others. THen a degree at university – good luck!

    • Photo: Douglas Blane

      Douglas Blane answered on 24 Jun 2010:

      You need a degree, usually a BSc, which takes 3 or 4 years at a university.

      If you want to do science research in a university, you’d usually need to go on and do another degree once you’ve got your BSc called a PhD. That takes 3 years.

      To get into a BSc course at a university when you leave school you need exam passes. It depends a little what university you fancy which passes you need.

      Lots of people want to go to Oxford or Cambridge because everybody’s heard of them. So they ask for better passes at school exams to get in.

      But you can be a really good scientist without going to either of those.

      Take a look here to learn a little more: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/QualificationsExplained/DG_10039021